Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Case Study 3

Question: 
Haley Williams sat in Dr. Karr’s office, once again, having to explain why she could not get along with her teacher. “I don’t know why she picks on me in front of the class. All I know is that when she starts to yell at me. I lose my temper. I’m not even sure what I am supposed to do! It seems like everything I do is wrong according to Ms. Kemp. I know we have talked about getting along and how that would be better for everyone, but Dr. Karr, I just don’t like her and she does not like me. Can’t I be switched to another class?

1)  Is Miss Kemp doing anything that actually contributes to Haley’s poor behavior? Explain your answer.
2) What could one assume about Miss Kemp’s reprimands if Haley’s behavior has not decreased?


Answer: 
1) Yes I do believe that Miss Kemp is contributing to Haley's poor behavior because Haley states that Miss Kemp picks on her quite frequently and in front of the whole class and she also yells at her which just makes Haley angry. Miss Kemp may not be the entire reason behind Haley's behavior problem, but she is a huge factor in either making it worse or trying to help Haley while in the classroom. 

2) One could assume that Miss Kemp's reprimands aren't correct for Haley's situation. If Haley has behavior problems, the teacher needs to be patient and try to understand the students needs. Obviously yelling at her isn't the right way to go about it if her behhavior has not improved yet. It seems like Miss Kemp needs to find an alternate way to handle this situation. Haley's not going to change unless Miss Kemp does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment